Placeholder image

Diekircher Wochenblatt

The history of the Diekircher Wochenblatt and its title changes is intimately related to the history of the printers Schroell in Diekirch.

Title(s)
Diekircher Wochenblatt
Diekircher-Wochenblatt
Publisher(s)
Joseph Anton Schröll
Printer(s)
-
Years published
From 02.12.1837 to 30.12.1848
Years scanned
From 02.01.1841 to 30.12.1848

Description

The history of the Diekircher Wochenblatt and its title changes is intimately related to the history of the printers Schroell in Diekirch.

The 3rd of March 1837, Joseph-Antoine Schroell (1798-1865) founded the Wochenblatt für Bürger und Landleute. It was the first "provincial" newspaper in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. In 1837 it changed its title to Diekircher Wochenblatt, which it kept until 1849.

Afterwards Der Wächter an der Sauer was published between January 1849 and December 1857 when it was temporarily replaced by Der Telegraph (2nd of January 1858 to 3rd of October 1860) for political reasons. On the 6th of October 1860 the newspaper took back the title Wächter an der Sauer, which lasted until the 21st of February 1869. Afterwards it was called Der Volksfreund until 1877 and then Der Landwirt, edited by the printer Justin Schroell until 1940.