Placeholder image

Wächter an der Sauer (Der)

The history of the "Wächter an der Sauer" is intimately related to the history of the printers Schroell in Diekirch.

Title(s)
Wächter an der Sauer
Publisher(s)
Jos. Ant. Schröll
Justin Schröll
Printer(s)
-
Years published
From 03.01.1849 to 21.02.1869
Years scanned
From 03.01.1849 to 21.02.1869

Description

The history of the "Wächter an der Sauer" and its title changes is intimately related to the history of the printers Schroell in Diekirch.

The 3rd of March 1837, Joseph-Antoine Schroell (1798-1865) founded the "Wochenblatt für Bürger und Landleute". This was the first "provincial" newspaper and changed its title in 1837 to Diekircher Wochenblatt". The "Der Wächter an der Sauer" was published between January 1849 and December 1857 when it was temporarily replaced by the "Der Telegraph" (2nd of January 1858 to 3rd of October 1860) for political reasons. On the 6th of October 1860 the newspaper took back the title "Wächter an der Sauer", which lasted until the 21st of February 1869. Afterwards it was called "Der Volksfreund" until 1877 and then "Der Landwirt", edited by the printer Justin Schroell and continued like this until 1940.